Health Systems, Research and Policy Unit
The EAC Health Systems, Research and Policy Unit spearheads regional integration in the area of health systems development and strengthening, health research, policy formulation and practice among the EAC Partner States.
The second major mandate of this unit is to co-ordinate the efforts of the EAC Partner States and to lobby them to invest in human resources in the provision of safe, quality, affordable and efficient health care services.
This is in recognition that the general situation of human resources for health within the Community is characterised by:
- A severe shortage of health workers
- Inability to attract and retain health workers, especially in the public health sector
- Performance management issues
- Unequal distribution of staff and diminishing productivity among the health workforce
- Very high turnover especially due to emigration