The Community has a number of semi-autonomous institutions that help it implement its mandate. These EAC institutions include:
- the Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (CASSOA);
- the East African Competition Authority (EACA);
- the East African Development Bank (EADB);
- the East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC);
- the East African Kiswahili Commission (EAKC);
- the East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO);
- the Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA);
- the Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC); and
- the Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO).
The Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency works in the civil aviation sector towards air transport services that are safe, efficient and profitable as well as adoption of common policies and harmonisation of civil aviation rules and regulations.
For more information, please visit the CASSOA website.
The East African Community Competition Authority (EACA), which is an institution of EAC is mandated to promote and protect fair trade and to ensure consumer welfare in the community pursuant to EAC Competition Act, 2006.
Specifically, the Act is aimed at enhancing the welfare of the people of the Community by:
- Protecting all market participants freedom to compete by prohibiting anticompetitive practices
- Protecting the opening of partner states markets against creation of barriers to interstate trade and economic transactions by market participants
- Guaranteeing equal opportunities for market participants in the Community - SMEs
- Guaranteeing a level playing field –eliminating any discrimination by partner states on the basis of nationality or residence
- Providing consumers access o products and services at competitive prices and better quality
- Providing incentives to producers – improvement of production and products through technical and organizational innovation
- Promoting economic integration and development in the community by creating a conducive environment for investment in the community and bringing the EAC competition policy and law in line with international best practice.
The East African Development Bank offers structured financial products and services to organisations in the health, education, hospitality and tourism, infrastructure development, energy and utilities, and agriculture sectors.
For more information, please visit the EADB website.
The East African Health Research Commission coordinates and maps out a regional agenda on health research as well as the translation of its results into policy and practice within the Partner States. EAHRC webpage..
The East African Kiswahili Commission coordinates and provides advice to the Partner States on all matters related to Kiswahili research, teaching, learning and development as the lingua franca of the Partner States. EAKC Website
The East African Science and Technology Commission governs the Partner States co-operation in the development and implementation of Science and Technology. EASTECO Website
The Inter-University Council for East Africa coordinates harmonisation of higher education and training systems in East Africa, facilitates their strategic development and promotes internationally comparable standards and systems.
For more information, please visit the IUCEA website.
The Lake Victoria Basin Commission focusses on coordinating the various interventions on the Lake and its Basin.
For more information, please visit the LVBC website.
The Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization promotes sustainable utilisation of fisheries of the Lake.
For more information, please visit the LVFO website.