ADDITIONAL STATEMENT BY EALA SPEAKER, RT HON DANIEL F. KIDEGA FOLLOWING THE UNTIMELY DEATH OF HON HAFSA MOSSI, MEMBER OF EALA ON JULY 13, 2016
- On behalf of the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) and on my own behalf, I express heartfelt condolences and sympathies to the family of the late Hon. Hafsa Mossi, following her untimely death yesterday (July 13, 2016) in Bujumbura.
- Similarly, we extend our consolations to the Government and the citizens of the Republic of Burundi for the loss.
- Hon. Hafsa Mossi who was interred last evening in accordance with the Muslim burial rights was at time of death, Chairperson of the EALA Chapter, Burundi and Chairperson of the EALA Women Caucus.
- I reaffirm our support to the family during this time of grief and assure them that a delegation of the Assembly will at an appropriate and opportune time, visit Bujumbura for further commiseration.
- Upon resumption of the House, EALA shall also hold a Special Session in honour of Hon. Hafsa Mossi.
- The Assembly condemns in the strongest terms possible, the cowardly acts perpetrated by the criminals behind the assassination of Hon. Hafsa Mossi and on all other unwarranted killings of citizens. We call on the Government of Burundi to speedily investigate and to bring those responsible to justice.
- Security needs to be intensified to ensure that citizens of Burundi are able to carry on with their day to day activities without fear and uncertainties. Property also needs to be secured.
- Once again, accept our condolences and we pray for Almighty God’s comfort at this hour of sorrow and always.
Daniel F. Kidega