EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY ELECTION OBSERVER MISSION
UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA GENERAL ELECTIONS, 2020
1. Under the mandate of the East African Community, I have been honored to lead the EAC Election Observer Mission to the United Republic of Tanzania General Elections that took place on 28th October, 2020. The Mission which comprised 59 Observers, arrived in the country on the 21st October, 2020 and deployed on the 26th October, 2020 to observe the final stages of campaigns, polling preparations and election day proceedings. During the Mission, I held consultations with various key stakeholders, including The National Electoral Commission (NEC), Political Parties such as CCM, Chadema and ACT Wazalendo, other Electoral Observation Missions such as the African Union and the Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (EISA) among others.
2. The Mission observed 160 polling stations. The Mission observed the following:
a. The election process was largely conducted in a peaceful environment;
b. All political parties and candidates where able to conduct their campaigns across the country freely;
c. The opening procedures of polling stations were conducted in accordance with the existing laws and procedures;
d. voting proceeded smoothly in most polling stations observed, with NEC officials demonstrating good levels of competence and compliance with the mandated procedures; and
3. The National Electoral Commission organised the elections in a professional manner. The Mission particularly appreciates the gradual publication of the provisional results as they reach the National Electoral Commission.
4. The Mission has observed the early stages of the transmission and tabulation of results and will therefore provide an in-depth assessment in its final report.
5. The Mission calls upon all political parties to seek redress through available legal channels in case of dissatisfaction with the outcome. In seeking redress, the Mission urges political parties to put at the forefront the best interests of the people of Tanzania, including peace and security, and refrain from any activity that could compromise the same.
6. The Mission commends the people of the United Republic of Tanzania for their commitment to this process and the wisdom they have demonstrated during this election period, particularly in safeguarding peace and security that are prerequisites for a peaceful and credible electoral process. The Mission reiterates its strong call on the people of the United Republic of Tanzania, and all candidates, to move ahead in the next steps of the process peacefully.
7. Generally, the Mission is of the view that the Election process was conducted in a credible manner.
East African Community Mission for Election Observation in Tanzania
HE Sylvestre NTIBANTUNGANYA
Former President of the Republic of Burundi
DOWNLOAD: Taarifa ya Awali ya Mkuu wa Timu ya Watazamaji wa Uchaguzi Mkuu wa Tanzania 2020 kutoka Jumuiya ya Afrika Mashariki
DOWNLOAD: Communiqué de Presse du Président de la Mission D’Observation des Elections de la Communauté D’Afrique de L’Est