2nd East African Community Regional E-Health & Telemedicine Workshop, Ministerial Conference and Trade Exhibition
In collaboration with the EAC Regional Center of Excellence in Biomedical Engineering and e-Health (CEBE), University of Rwanda, and the EAC Secretariat, the East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) is organizing the “Second East African Community Regional E-Health & Telemedicine Workshop, Ministerial Conference and Trade Exhibition”, in Kigali, Rwanda, from 15th to 18th May 2018.
The First East African Community Regional E-Health & Telemedicine Workshop was held in Kigali, Rwanda, from 8th to 10 November 2010. The main goal of the workshop was to assess both policies and technical elements that can support an enabling environment for e-healthcare solutions, as well as discussions of e-health areas such as telemedicine, electronic medical records and healthcare information systems were discussed and best practices illustrated.
The EAC is now seeking to improve its healthcare delivery systems using these newfound e-health and informatics initiatives. The expansion and integration of e-health systems throughout the EAC will offer substantial and growing opportunities with internal and external collaborators that specialize in e-health solutions and ICT infrastructure.
We are therefore pleased to announce the Second East African Community Regional E-Health & Telemedicine Workshop, Ministerial Conference and Trade Exhibition”, which will take place from 15th to 18th May 2018, in Kigali, Rwanda.
The Workshop will consider and follow-up on the implementation of the following resolutions of the first workshop, viz:
- Creation of an EAC Regional e-Health Working Group;
- Establishment of National Inter – Agency e-Health Working Groups;
- Development of legal and regulatory frameworks;
- Implementation of the East African Community Regional Integrated Telemedicine and e-Health Program;
- Technology and Infrastructure Improvements for e-Health Systems;
- Consideration of the Proposed Financing Models for e-Health Implementation at national and regional levels in the East African Community region.
The workshop will also introduce EAC public and private sector decision makers to solutions that will enable the improvement of healthcare infrastructure and delivery through the use of ICTs.
The following will be the main objectives:
- share experiences on the progress made by EAC Partner States in using e-health initiatives to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially the goal 3 (health related);
- Discuss appropriate enabling environment for e-healthcare, including policies, governance mechanisms and institutional capacity regionally and on national level in general, and in particular (i) the standardization of e-health systems and (ii) data protection and privacy regime for e-health;
- Deliberate on sustainable financing of e-healthcare projects and Implementing Self-sustaining Telehealth Services.
- Strategies on accelerating and broadening access to Health Systems through technology and Infrastructure, and discussions on ICT infrastructure access updates and their implications on access to e-health services.
The Conference will gather participants including policymakers from Governments and public organizations, e-Health and Telemedicine experts and professionals, Technology and ICT solutions providers, Research and Development institutions, Development Partners, International and non-profit organizations.
The methodology will include a Ministerial panel, sessions where selected papers will be presented and an exhibition of e-Health & Telemedicine solutions where companies will showcase their products, as well as field visits. The event will also provide an opportunity to share national, regional and global experience in e-Health and Telemedicine programmes and solutions, biomedical engineering and allow participants to get insight into policy and regulatory systems, infrastructure and technologies, efficient partnerships to improve healthcare delivery.
Registration is now open at the Registration page of the above homepage of the meeting.
- USD 200 if payment is received until March 30th, 2018
- USD 250 if payment is received until April 30th, 2018
- USD 300 if payed at the conference venue
Contributed talks, posters:
It will be possible to present a limited number of 15 minute contributed talks and a posters session is planned as well.