EAC Day Commemoration
The Treaty for the Establishment of the East African Community (EAC) was signed on 30th November, 1999 and came into force on 7th July, 2000 following its ratification by the three original Partner States of the Republics of Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania.
Since then, the EAC Partner States has been commemorating the 30th of November of each year as the EAC Day. In addition, the East African Legislative Assembly passed the East African Community Holidays Bill 2013, to among other things, make 30th of November as the official EAC Day in the Partner States.
JUSTIFICATION FOR THE EAC CELEBRATIONS
The Summit of EAC Heads of State has from time to time in various directives instructed the EAC Secretariat and Ministries of EAC Affairs in the Partner States to sensitize East Africans on the integration process. Since the re-establishment of the EAC 1999, the EAC has made steady progress based on a series of its development strategies and attained international recognition as the fastest integrating Regional Economic Community in Africa.
It is in this regard that the EAC Secretariat has to organized several activities to commemorate the revival of the Community and honouring citizens who have championed the cause of integration and showcase the achievements of the integration process to the public.
OBJECTIVE OF CELEBRATIONS
The overall objective of commemoration of EAC Day is to provide opportunity for the EAC to reflect on the vision of integration and to celebrate the progress made in all the four pillars of the integration, namely the: Customs Union; Common Market; Monetary Union, and; Political Federation. These achievements have improved the wellbeing of the people of East Africa.
The specific objectives of the celebrations are to:
- Popularize the EAC Day to the public through empowering common Mwananchi with knowledge on integration process;
- Discuss the status of the integration process;
- Enhance awareness of EAC Projects and Programmes to the public, and;
- Undertake Corporate Social Responsibility activities by giving back to the society and mitigating the effects of climate change.
EAC DAY 2022 ACTIVITIES
The activities to be undertaken include:
- CSR activity (cleaning) by EAC staff at Kilombero Market;
- CSR Activity (tree planting) at Levolosi Hospital (next to Kilombero Market);
- CSR activity (donation of Maternity Delivery Kits) to Levolosi Hospital, Arusha; and
- EAC Open Day and Exhibition by Vendors at EAC Headquarters