EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI)
EOI N0: EACA/SVS/20-21/005
CONSULTANCY TO CONDUCT A STUDY OF SUBSIDIES IMPLEMENTED IN EAC REGION AND DEVELOP SUBSIDY REGULATIONS, GUIDELINES AND REGISTER
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organisation comprised of the Republic of Burundi, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of South Sudan. The Treaty for Establishment of the East African Community was signed on 30th November 1999 and entered into force on 7th July 2000.
EAC Competition Act, 2006 came into force in December, 2014 through a gazette notice of 23rd January 2015. The Act seeks, inter alia, to promote and protect fair trade in the Community, ensure consumer welfare and to establish the East African Community Competition Authority (EACA). The EACA is an institution of the whose mandate is to enforce the Act within the Community
The EACA invites interested individual consultants to express their interest for a consultancy to conduct a study of subsidies implemented in EAC region and develop subsidy Regulations and Guidelines and Register.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objective of this assignment is to contribute to a deeper understanding of the nature and dynamism of the subsidies in the EAC region.
Specific objectives include:
- take a stock of legal and institutional framework governing competition and subsidies provisional in the EAC region;
- assess and identify gaps in the implementation and enforcement of subsidy provision in the EAC region and propose mitigation mechanism
- Identify institutional and legal gaps in the subsidies enforcement capacity
- Identify and register all categories of subsidies provided in the region;
- assess if there are any subsidies distorting market effectiveness in the Community and general impact of these subsidies in the EAC economy;
- propose mechanism to monitor and evaluate competition development and market effectiveness;
- Propose recommendation for better implementation and enforcement of EAC Competition on subsidies.
Interested individuals may Express their Interest by in the assignment. The individuals must demonstrate a five year experience in the field of the assignment specifically on subsidies or competition related matters, undertaken work related to trade laws and drafting of legislations or guidelines; working experience in the EAC region and/or having worked with the other regional integration organizations.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 08:00hrs – 16:00hrs (East African Time). No liability will be accepted for loss or late delivery and late submissions will be rejected.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below labelled “Expression of Interest for the Consultancy to Conduct the Study of Subsidies Implemented in EAC Region and Develop Subsidy Regulations, Guidelines and Register”
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by 14th May, 2021 at 11:00hrs labelled “Expression of Interest for the Consultancy to Conduct the Study of Subsidies Implemented in EAC Region and Develop Subsidy Regulations, Guidelines and Register”.
Attn: Secretary, Procurement Committee
East African Community (EAC) Headquarters,
Afrika Mashariki Rd. / EAC Close,
P. O. Box 1096, Arusha, Tanzania
Any changes or modifications will be communicated on the EAC Website: www.eac.int.