EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
The East African Community (EAC) - European Union (EU) Core Programme is financed under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) and has an overall objective to support the deepening of the EAC regional economic integration, through advancing implementation of the Customs Union and the Common Market Protocols.
One of its specific objectives is to achieve improved implementation of agreed EAC commitments on liberalisation of trade in services under the EAC Common Market Protocol; through among others:
- Supporting the monitoring mechanisms for the removal of restrictions in prioritised sectors, through establishment of a living database of restrictions as well as its regular updating; establishment of national and regional peer review processes and availability of standardised data on trade in services;
- Supporting regulatory reforms, through developing sector specific regional regulatory frameworks; roadmaps for reviewing domestic laws and regulations; building capacity of service sector regulators as well as supporting preparatory steps for the implementation of the draft Regulations on the free movement of services and services suppliers.
- Promote awareness and coordination, through establishing public-private dialogue multi-stakeholder forums to facilitate advocacy, information sharing and best practices; and holding national stakeholder sensitisation campaigns to create awareness on opportunities for service exports.
The EU-EAC CORE Programme will be implemented through two main implementation modalities: a) Indirect management with the EAC Secretariat, through procurement of services via an International Restricted Tender (IRT) procedure; and b) Indirect management with the EAC Secretariat, through Programme Estimates.
The East African Community Secretariat seeks to recruit a highly motivated, result-driven, and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania to fill the following position tenable at the EAC Secretariat in Arusha, Tanzania.
TRADE IN SERVICES SPECIALIST
(1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/05)
ORGAN: EAC Secretariat
DEPARTMENT: Trade in Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Trade
DURATION: 7 Months
DUTY STATION: Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide technical and advisory services on the implementation of Trade in Services Programmes in the EAC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate the finalization of the EAC Trade in Services Strategy.
- Coordinate consultants undertaking research and consultancy work on Trade in Services.
- Develop analytical and technical briefs as well as discussion papers on Trade in Services.
- Coordinate EAC negotiations on Trade in Services under the COMESA-EAC-SADC Tripartite Free Trade Area (TFTA) Agreement and the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Agreement.
- Facilitate meetings of the National Trade in Services Committees and the Regional Committee on Trade in Services, and provide technical guidance.
- Engage with cooperating agencies such as UNCTAD and ITC to develop an EAC Manual for Trade in Services statistical reporting.
- Liaise with other cooperating agencies/development partners as well as relevant departments in the EAC Secretariat with a view to advancing the EAC Trade in Services agenda.
- Identify training needs in the EAC Partner States and develop appropriate training and sensitization tools on Trade in Services.
- Act as Focal Staff in charge of supervising the Trade in Services aspects in the EU – EAC Common Objectives in Regional Economic Integration (CORE) programme, and prepare regular progress reports.
- Facilitate the Technical and Steering Committee meetings on the EU-EAC CORE Programme
- Any other related duties as may be assigned by the Director for Trade.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Master’s degree in the field of Economics, Law, Business Administration, International Trade or related field.
- 10 years relevant experience particularly on trade in services and regional integration with 5 years being at a senior level.
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES:
- Strong technical and analytical capabilities for analyzing trade in services issues.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Kiswahili and French is desirable. Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising quality and team spirit building skills.
- Computer literate with competency in the use of Microsoft Outlook and Office products such as Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; negotiation skills and ability to work harmoniously in a diverse environment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
This is an EU-EAC CORE Programme position supported by European and is a non-established position for which contract terms are limited to seven (7) months.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 2nd September 2022.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. All Applications MUST STRICTLY:
- have EAC application form, CV, application letter, ID ;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int