EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
EXCITING EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (RE-ADVERTISED)
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organization of the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Rwanda, the Republic of Burundi, and the Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value-added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Sudan) to apply for the following position tenable at the East African Kiswahili Commission.
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (1 post)
Grade : D1
Reports to : Council of Ministers through the Commission
Organ/Institution : East African Kiswahili Commission
Duty Station : Zanzibar, United Republic of Tanzania
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Executive Secretary is the Chief Executive and Accounting Officer of the Kiswahili Commission. The main purpose of the job is to promote and coordinate the development and usage of Kiswahili for regional unity and sustainable socio-economic development in EAC Partner States
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall management of the Commission in fulfilling its mandate as provided for in the Protocol;
- Coordinate policy formulation on sustainable development and management of the Kiswahili;
- Coordinate Resource Mobilization for the various Programs and Projects of the Commission
- Initiate and oversee the implementation of the strategic framework;
- Coordinate and implement of Partnership Agreements between the Commission and Development partners;
- Prepare and harmonize EAC positions on Kiswahili;
- Develop work plans, budgets and monitor Programmes for the work of the Commission;
- Promote operational linkages with other similar regional and international agencies and Institutions;
- Initiate studies and research related to the implementation of programs for the Commission;
- Jointly with Deputy Executive Secretary Finance and Administration provide guidance and technical support to the Sectoral Council of Ministers and take appropriate follow up actions as decided or directed by the Sectoral Council;
- Promote a positive corporate image of the East African Community in general and the Kiswahili Commission in particular;
- Perform other related duties as prescribed in the protocol that assigned by the Council.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters’ degree in Arts (Linguistics) or equivalent qualification from a recognised university.
- Minimum 15 years experience in academic or linguistic research fields with eight (8) of which should be at senior managerial level.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent leadership and people management skills;
- Very strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated research and publishing ability;
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation) in Kiswahili and English;
- Demonstrated experience in networking, and building and sustaining strategic partnerships High level negotiation skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications;
- High level proficiency Kiswahili language.
Eligibility for applications:
Only applicants from the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Sudan are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years none renewable.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
This is a re-advertised position; however, shortlisted candidates following the advertisement dated 11 June 2021 are not required to resubmit their applications.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11 February 2022.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
Due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int