Investment in Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
The EAC Partner States opened the telecommunications sector to investors after adoption of liberalisation measures in the 1990s. This has improved communication infrastructure, particularly mobile telephony.
Opportunities abound in the following areas:
- Processing accounting data;
- Incipient e-business services;
- Printing and publishing media and television;
- Logistics management;
- ICT infrastructure and training, including extension to rural areas;
- Provision of Internet-related hardware and software;
- Provision of value-added services in voice and imaging products;
- Data capture and processing;
- Call centres;
- Radio paging; and
- Broadband wireless Internet services.