Investment in Horticulture
The climate, the soil and the existing water supplies in the EAC region provide a base for production of high quality horticultural produce in a natural environment.
The main export product is cut flowers, whose biggest market is the EU. Major horticultural produce in the region includes pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, avocado, mango, orange, passion fruit, apples, bananas, raspberries, beans, asparagus, snow peas and chillies.
Opportunities abound in the following areas:
- Production and export of horticultural produce (fruits, flowers and vegetables);
- Production of propagation materials;
- Establishment of soil-analysis services;
- Manufacture of greenhouse plastics;
- Production of inputs such as fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides;
- Production of packaging materials;
- Provision of cold-storage facilities as well as air-cargo transport to foreign markets; and
- Provision of accreditation services to meet market and regulatory requirements.