EAC-ICGLR Hold Consultative Meeting in Bujumbura
East African Community Secretariat; Arusha, Tanzania; 05 July 2017:
The Secretary General of the East African Community, Amb. Liberat Mfumukeko held a consultative meeting with the leadership of the International Conference on the Great Lakes (ICGLR) Secretariat in Bujumbura, Burundi on Tuesday 4th July 2017.
The consultations co-chaired by the ICGLR Deputy Executive Secretary, Amb. Vincente Muanda was a follow up to a bilateral meeting held in March 2017 which revisited the Memorandum of Understanding concluded by the two sides on 1st December 2010, with a view to re-energizing its implementation.
The meeting, attended by Directors at the ICGLR and the EAC alternate focal person on implementation of the MoU, Mr. Leonard Onyonyi, reviewed the plan of action developed after the March meeting and underscored the need for enhancement of the pace of implementation.
The meeting identified the following activities as critical to the partnership and complementarity between the two parties.
- Democracy and Good Governance
- Fielding of joint Election Observer Missions in Kenya and Rwanda,
- Twinning of the Nyerere Centre for Peace Research with The Levy Mwanawasa Centre, and
- Cooperation and information sharing on enforcement of certification mechanism in the area of natural resources.
- Peace and Security
- Harmonization of Counter Terrorism Strategies,
- Joint efforts towards promotion of human rights in Burundi,
- Collective approach towards assessment of security situations in Burundi and South Sudan
- Economic Development and Regional Integration-sharing of information on progress towards conclusion of a wider Eastern and Southern Africa Free Trade Area and other integration initiatives
- Cross cutting issues that include Gender, Women and Children.
The meeting agreed on a close follow up mechanism that will ensure regular evaluation after very three months.
- ENDS -
For more information, please contact:
Mr Owora Richard Othieno
Head, Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Department
Tel: +255 784 835021
Email: OOthieno [at] eachq.org
About the East African Community Secretariat:
The East African Community (EAC) is a regional intergovernmental organisation of five Partner States, comprising Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda, with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
East African Community
EAC Close, Afrika Mashariki Road
P.O. Box 1096
United Republic of Tanzania
Tel: +255 (0)27 216 2100
Fax: +255 (0)27 216 2190
Email: eac [at] eachq.org