Principal Officer - Information and Communication Technology Development
The East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) is an Institution of the East African Community charged with governing the Partner States’ co-operation in the development and implementation of Science and Technology. The vision of the Commission is to contribute to a prosperous, competitive, secure and united East Africa through collaboration in science, technology and innovation. The mission is to promote and coordinate the development, management and application of Science and Technology in the EAC Partner States, for an innovative, competitive and integrated East Africa, and for the wellbeing of her people.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at the East African Science and Technology Commission:
Organ / Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Job Grade: P3
Job reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Head of Programme Development)
To Coordinate EASTECO’s work on ICT Development in the region to leverage the effective development and efficient application of ICT for Innovation and socio-economic development of the EAC Partner States.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate and recommend relevant areas for ICT development and application and facilitate the collaboration with Partner States for their adoption, including regional development of the information industries (electronics, computers and software development; communications systems; information and communication services), as well as infrastructure advancements;
- Lead the development, coordination & execution of a regional strategy of ICT development, innovation and application including capacity building, mechanisms for the promotion and support of talented youth in ICT in line with EASTECO objectives;
- Formulate and facilitate the implementation of programs/projects to promote regional and national ICT centres and incubators/hubs in the Community, including promoting regional collaboration in ICT development and innovation;
- Formulate and develop models for interventions and use of ICT to support innovation and improvements in productive and social sectors (manufacturing, Infrastructure, trade & services, education, health);
- Facilitate and coordinate commercialization of innovations in ICT in the Community
- Ensure that relevant innovative ICT solutions are disseminated and demonstrated through relevant mechanisms including conferences, exhibitions and other fora;
- Coordinate the Commission’s regional level information system networks including online publications and web portals;
- Formulate and implement the Commission’s ICT policy and strategy;
- Supervise the design and development of the Commission ICT infrastructure (network, servers, computer equipment and software), by coordinating evaluation, configuration and installation of software systems and tools;
- Participate in preparation of Progress reports, work plans and budgets for the Commission.
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Development.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree (at least Masters Level) in a relevant field of Information and Communication Technology. Other relevant qualifications related to Project management and/or business management will be an advantage.
- 10+ years’ experience in Information and Communication Technology field, ICT policy research with at least 5 years at a senior level;
- Experience in program/project planning and management and in developing project proposals;
- Must have practical knowledge in business re-engineering and strategies, systems analysis and design, information systems security management, contracts and specifications drafting and management, database design and administration, ICT management/leadership, network administration, ICT projects management and business continuity.
- Knowledge of EAC Partner States’ ICT strengths and capabilities is a plus.
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks with the ability to meet stated deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop a wide range of high-level contacts within academia, industry, government and civil society;
- Must possess analytical and problem solving skills,
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to work independently with little guidance and oversight in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, able to produce clear, concise reports, and to present complex concepts to non-expert audiences;
- Reliable, positive and effective team player with a track record working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering results through collaboration;
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for science, emerging technologies and the internationalization of science.
Candidates are invited from all EAC Partner States.
Applicants should not be more than 55 years as retirement age at the EAC is 60 years.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The successful candidate will serve on contract for a period of five (5) years renewable once upon satisfactory performance.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
The interested candidates who meet the above criteria may submit their applications either electronically or in hard copy but not both to the address below, comprising the following:
All applications should be submitted to the address below not later than, Wednesday, 16th August 2017.
- Letter of motivation, with the job reference
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of the biodata page of passport/ID;
- Certified Copies of degree/certificates;
- Professional testimonials;
- Daytime telephone contact;
- Names and contact addresses (with telephone and emails) of 3 referees.
The Executive Secretary
Email: info [at] easteco.org
To be received not later than at 5PM East African Time.
All potential applicants are advised to visit the EAC and EASTECO websites: www.eac.int and www.easteco.org for details of these positions including the required qualifications, duties and responsibilities.
Application Deadline:Wednesday, 16 August 2017 - 5:00pm
East African Community
EAC Close, Afrika Mashariki Road
P.O. Box 1096
United Republic of Tanzania
Tel: +255 (0)27 216 2100
Fax: +255 (0)27 216 2190
Email: eac [at] eachq.org