Senior Officer - Partnership and Commercialization
The East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) is an Institution of the East African Community charged with governing the Partner States’ co-operation in the development and implementation of Science and Technology. The vision of the Commission is to contribute to a prosperous, competitive, secure and united East Africa through collaboration in science, technology and innovation. The mission is to promote and coordinate the development, management and application of Science and Technology in the EAC Partner States, for an innovative, competitive and integrated East Africa, and for the wellbeing of her people.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at the East African Science and Technology Commission:
Organ / Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Job Grade: P2
Job reports to: Principal Officer (Partnership, Outreach and Commercialization)
To support the development of science and technology partnerships and assist in the development of commercial opportunities for research, technology and expertise as well as commercialization of intellectual property generated at Research and Development Institutions in the Community. The jobholder will work with partners to create innovative market test strategies and to develop new opportunities for market introduction, and manage relationships with STI partners
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships in among STI partners while also developing policies that allow partnerships to thrive;
- In collaboration with relevant STI stakeholders, develop and implement strategies for strategic partnerships/collaborations for effective promotion and development of STI in the Community;
- Develop and implement innovative strategies for engaging non state actors including global/regional corporation, philanthropic foundations and civil society organizations to help meet EASTECO objectives;
- Champion and manage new projects to create stronger partnerships including public–private partnerships, university-R&D centers-industry linkages i.a in furtherance of EASTECO objectives;
- Develop and implement intellectual property management and commercialization strategies incl. standards setting and harmonization;
- Assist in the development of commercial opportunities for research, technology and expertise including the development and negotiation of Research and Development agreements between research institutions and industry/companies/other organizations, as well as funding opportunities;
- Foster an entrepreneurial culture and build partnerships between research, business and government communities;
- Facilitate and coordinate the commercialization of intellectual property generated at research institutions to realize the potential impact of research in the region by embedding commercialization support into different stages of research, impact and innovation cycles
- Facilitate the identification and evaluation of technologies with commercial applications, and provides central support to regional research and innovation activities across the various stakeholders including academia, research institutions and industry;
- Develop and coordinate Technology Transfer programmes and projects for wealth creation;
- Participate in regional policy formulation;
- Assist in the formulation of programmes and projects to promote the inculcation of a science and technology culture in the Partner States.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters Degree in one or more of the following fields; engineering, physical sciences or informatics. Other relevant qualifications related to Partnership Development will be an advantage. Should have demonstrable competencies in technology-related project management and business development.
- 8 years’ experience in technology and Intellectual Property related business development and commercialization, with 3 years’ experience in implementing the innovation process in a research intensive.
- Experience in partnership development, collaborative research and technology commercialization/transfer highly desirable;
Skills and Competencies:
- Expert Strategic planning and organization skills;
- Good Administrative and Organizational skills;
- Good Partnership mobilization skills;
- Good analytical and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural/diverse environment;
- Proficiency in computer applications and report writing;
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment;
- Proficiency in the English language;
- High energy, enthusiasm and initiative.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
Candidates are invited from all EAC Partner States.
Applicants should not be more than 55 years as retirement age at the EAC is 60 years.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
The interested candidates who meet the above criteria may submit their applications either electronically or in hard copy but not both to the address below, comprising the following:
All applications should be submitted to the address below not later than, Wednesday, 16th August 2017.
- Letter of motivation, with the job reference
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of the biodata page of passport/ID;
- Certified Copies of degree/certificates;
- Professional testimonials;
- Daytime telephone contact;
- Names and contact addresses (with telephone and emails) of 3 referees.
The Executive Secretary
Email: info [at] easteco.org
To be received not later than at 5PM East African Time.
All potential applicants are advised to visit the EAC and EASTECO websites: www.eac.int and www.easteco.org for details of these positions including the required qualifications, duties and responsibilities.
Application Deadline:Wednesday, 16 August 2017 - 5:00pm
East African Community
EAC Close, Afrika Mashariki Road
P.O. Box 1096
United Republic of Tanzania
Tel: +255 (0)27 216 2100
Fax: +255 (0)27 216 2190
Email: eac [at] eachq.org