Senior Legal Officer
The East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) is an Institution of the East African Community charged with governing the Partner States’ co-operation in the development and implementation of Science and Technology. The vision of the Commission is to contribute to a prosperous, competitive, secure and united East Africa through collaboration in science, technology and innovation. The mission is to promote and coordinate the development, management and application of Science and Technology in the EAC Partner States, for an innovative, competitive and integrated East Africa, and for the wellbeing of her people.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at the East African Science and Technology Commission:
Organ / Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Job Grade: P2
Job reports to: Executive Secretary
The jobholder will provide statutory/legal advice to EASTECO to ensure compliance/ adherence to the established EAC laws and rules of procedure. Prepare and provide Legal advisory opinion to EASTECO for the efficient and effective delivery of its mandate. The Legal Officer will be responsible for facilitating the preparation/negotiation of agreements and Memoranda of understanding (MOU’s), and represent EASTECO on Court matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop strategies, policies and procedures for dealing with legal issues pertaining to EASTECO;
- Provide Legal advisory opinion to EASTECO and its partners on matters relating to policy and implementation of EASTECO projects and programmes;
- Provide timely legal advice to the Executive Secretary on issues that might have legal implications;
- Study and disseminate all legislations and regulations that have a direct or indirect bearing on the functions of EASTECO;
- Drafting, reviewing, and assisting in the negotiation of all types of EASTECO contracts, including Grant Agreements, Collaboration Agreements, Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), and Consultancy Contracts;
- Responding to and advising on legal issues that arise during contract implementation including modifications, oversight of compliance with contractual terms including the timely submission of contractual reports and compliance with legal terms and conditions under grants from a variety of donors.
- Provide statutory advice on EAC laws and rules of procedure during EASTECO statutory meetings and guide EASTECO meetings on legal matters and procedure;
- Represent EASTECO and attend court hearings and Follow-up on the execution of Court decisions and prepare legal documentation;
- Assist the Executive Secretary to propose Governing Board meeting agenda, follow up the preparation of documents and reports as well as the circulation of meeting reports to the stakeholders;
- Perform any other Duties as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
Suitable candidates must have a Master’s Degree in Law from a recognized University.
Must have a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal practice; Certified Public Secretary is an added advantage. Suitable candidates must also have 5 years’ experience in Contract Management; and fluency in written and spoken English.
Minimum 10 years’ experience, with 5 years at senior level in legal representation.
Skills and Competencies:
Must be able to provide Strategic and team leadership, manage performance, diversity, conflict and change; have Legal Drafting, Conceptual, Analytical, Communication, Legal Research, Negotiation, Networking, Judgement, decision making, presentation and report writing skills.
Candidates are invited from all EAC Partner States. Applicants should not be more than 55 years as retirement age at the EAC is 60 years.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above positions are tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once and are subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
The interested candidates who meet the above criteria may submit their applications either electronically or in hard copy but not both to the address below, comprising the following:
All applications should be submitted to the address below not later than, Wednesday, 16th August 2017.
- Letter of motivation, with the job reference
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of the biodata page of passport/ID;
- Certified Copies of degree/certificates;
- Professional testimonials;
- Daytime telephone contact;
- Names and contact addresses (with telephone and emails) of 3 referees.
The Executive Secretary
Email: info [at] easteco.org
To be received not later than at 5PM East African Time.
All potential applicants are advised to visit the EAC and EASTECO websites: www.eac.int and www.easteco.org for details of these positions including the required qualifications, duties and responsibilities.
Application Deadline:Wednesday, 16 August 2017 - 5:00pm
Job Description: EASTECO - Senior Legal Officerdisplayed 99 times
East African Community
EAC Close, Afrika Mashariki Road
P.O. Box 1096
United Republic of Tanzania
Tel: +255 (0)27 216 2100
Fax: +255 (0)27 216 2190
Email: eac [at] eachq.org